- 1 can hearts of palm
- 1 cup chickpeas, mashed
- 1 sleeve saltine crackers
- 2 tbsp green onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp vegan worcestershire
- 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp dulse flakes
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Old Bay seasoning + extra
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp vital wheat gluten
- 1 tsp cornstarch
1. Dry and finely chop hearts of palm until it closely resembles crab meat.
2. Process or mash chickpeas to flatten.
3. Take about 25-30 saltine crackers and process until finely ground. Measure out 1/4 cup and set aside. With the remaining ground crackers sprinkle a few shakes of Old Bay and mix together in a shallow bowl to make the breading.
4. In a large bowl combine all other ingredients including the 1/4 cup ground saltines.
5. Divide mixture into 4 equal parts and shape each part into a round patty.
6. Dip and swirl each patty into the breading mixture on both sides, then place onto a parchment lined tray and refrigerate for at least an hour to firm.
6. Heat about 1″ of vegetable oil in a frying pan on medium-high heat and cook for about 5 minutes on each side until cakes are golden brown and cooked through. Place cakes on paper towels to drain excess oil and enjoy!
Yields 4 vegan crab cakes.